Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Do I shine the light of Jesus?

Tonight in youth group we wrapped up our theme of "Illuminate the mission of God" and went straight into "Illuminate YOUR mission from God"...and why do those tie together? becuase without knowing God's mission, how can you know your own? anyway, the main point of tonight was that generally, our mission is to be a light of God to other people, to SHINE on them the love of God. I thought this was really cool because the word "shine" is kinda like my theme word...if there's such a thing. there's a verse in Phillipians that i also adopted and it says

"Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may become blameless and pure, children of god, without fault in a crooked and depraved generation in which you SHINE like stars in the universe.."

and tonight we also read another verse in matthew 5:14-16 that says

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.In the same way, let your light SHINE before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.."

i really just LOVE the idea that we, as Christians, can be this beacon of light, or hope, to other people. That through our actions, people can see Christ in us and praise the Father because of it. gosh that's so cool. but now the real question is, am i living in a way that shines the light of Jesus? i really pray that i do. i know i can't all the time and i don't lots of the times, but i know that there are things that i can change in my life now that will help me. i just need the courage and strength from Jesus to change, because i can't on my own.
Sometimes we forget how much people affect us in our lives and the difference we can make in others. I know there are several people in my life that I will NEVER forget because of their kindness and friendship, but more importantly because of the light of Jesus that I see in them. It's truly encouraging to me.
But anyway, I hope I can encourage you to live as a light, to not be ashamed of your faith and hide it when it matters most. You never know who will be changed because of it. And in the end, God is the one that judges us. and His light never fades. so let His light shine in you till the end.

p.s. im telling this to myself just as much as I want you to hear it. i probably need it more.






No comments:

Post a Comment