Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Helpless.
I was driving to work today, and when I got off the interstate there was a little old homeless man huddled on the side of the road, with a sign, hoping to get some money. He looked so cold. I started tearing up as I thought about the life that he lives, but more than that, I cried because I felt helpless. I felt as though there wasn't much I could do to help. Yes, in some ways he needs handouts like the basic food and shelter to survive. But he needs so much more than that. Love, friendship, the warmth of a smile…Why am I so selfish with the huge blessings that I have? God has given me things so that I can turn around and give to others. But I don't know how. And this drives me crazy. Again, I feel helpless. Part of it comes from simply being a girl. Generally speaking, it's not SAFE for me to try to befriend someone on the streets. But should that stop me? Would it be right not to help someone because it's not, in the world's eyes, safe? Should I just trust God to protect and provide? IT'S. SO. HARD. GUYS. And I'm so TIRED of turning my head and looking away. I'm ashamed to meet their eyes. I just wanna help…Is that so much to ask?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment